Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cookies Devoured...

... and deemed delicious! We made acorn cookies last night, this time with commercially available Korean acorn flour (if having a friend purchase the flour in an Asian market in California and mailing it to Minnesota can be termed "commercially available").

I substitued agave for the pure maple syrup I used in a previous batch of acorn cookies. Here's the recipe we used:

Preheat to 350 for 15 minutes

1/2 cup butter (local organic)
1/2 cup agave
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 eggs (local farmer's market)
1/2 cup acorn flour
1-1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Melt the butter then add the agave. Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the butter/agave mixture.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.

At this point I noticed a couple of things:

1. The resulting batter could easily double as a very effective construction adhesive - very sticky!
2. Like last time I tried this recipe, it need a little extra flour - about 1-1/2 tbs.

I dropped spoonfuls of batter onto a parchment paper lined air bake cookie sheet, and baked for about 13-15 minutes.

They turned out great! They have a much more "cake like" texture than the cookies I made last fall from acorn flour I ground myself, which makes sense because the Korean flour is extremely finely ground (just trying to measure a half cup results in a cloud of acorn flour dust!).

My son wanted to bring them to school for his teachers, so that's definitely a vote of approval.

In separate posts I'll discuss in more detail the acorn flour and acorn starch sent to me by Dr. David Bainbridge, and I'll look more in-depth at what these simple cookies can mean in the big scheme of things. Math might be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment